Cinnamon and Jujube Fruit Cake
For the Cake:
- 1 cup dried jujube fruits (also known as red dates), pitted and chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
For the Topping:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or almonds (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
Mix Dry Ingredients:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
Cream Butter and Sugar:
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and granulated sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients:
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture in three parts, alternating with the buttermilk. Begin and end with the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the chopped jujube fruits.
Pour and Sprinkle Topping:
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts if using. Sprinkle this mixture over the batter.
Bake the Cake:
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice and serve the cake as is, or with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Enjoy your Cinnamon and Jujube Fruit Cake, a perfect treat for any occasion!